Thursday, December 27, 2012

Ladies' Lunch

Today was Day 2 of our winter vacation that I am doing all I can to keep an actual VACATION - meaning no more social engagements than are absolutely necessary. Yesterday we only had the party in the evening, and before that we all were in our pajamas. Today there was only a short dance rehearsal for Ava and three other girls she is doing a special dance with. We got dressed to leave the house, and I had every intention of coming straight back home and returning to my pj's or sweats as quickly as possible.

While we were at the studio both Ava and Jocelyn at separate times asked if we could go to McDonald's. I get asked this countless times in any given week, and 99% of the time I say no, we have food at home. But for some reason today I felt a little tug in my heart to treat my girls. So we left the dance studio and headed toward the Golden Arches. Ava asked if we could eat inside - something we REALLY never do - and I obliged. I wanted to laugh at how ridiculous it is that going and sharing a meal of chicken nuggets and fries could be such a special event to my children. And yet, I was once again reminded that sometimes it's the small things in life. What is not a big deal to me made my daughters' day. Times like today's little lunch are the small memories that I hope my girls will take with them for years to come. For in the end the unhealthy calories will fade, but the stories and laughs shared will last and last.

No comments:

Post a Comment