Friday, December 7, 2012

Humbled

Every now and then I have a day when the goodness of humanity shines through in abundance. Today was one of those days. I started off my morning as I have most every morning for the last two weeks: sleep-deprived and depressed from the amount of coughing I'd done the night before. Seeing as this is my third day on antibiotics, I thought I should probably be feeling substantially better by now. I wanted to rule out the emergence of pneumonia, especially before the weekend came around and it would be harder to see the doctor.

So I did what I often do when faced with a dilemma - I posed the question to the world on Facebook. Should I go back to the doctor yet, or could the meds still be getting around to working? I had originally asked the question in hopes that one of my many friends in the medical profession might have some insight. But what I was most touched by was the number of people who have little or no knowledge of the medical field, but were sharing personal stories, offering advice, and wishing me well. It may not seem like much, but each of those people took the time to read what I had written and write a response of their own. I truly valued each person's input and felt blessed to have so many people sending me healing thoughts.

Once I had made the decision to go in for a follow up I called my mom to talk through the whole thing with her. Minutes after, I got a call from my dad, trying to figure out logistics if he needed to come out and help me out while I was recuperating. (In the end I decided I didn't need the extra help, since it seems it's not pneumonia but just severe bronchitis, but I was so grateful for my dad's offer to drop everything to come help me out.)

Later in the day I received a phone call from a friend offering to take my kids for a few hours if I needed a break or to get something done childless. She has two young children of her own and in no way needs the added stress of handling my gang, but she offered without hesitation. Then when I decided, against my better judgment, to go get my chest x-ray with all 3 girls in tow, the staff at the radiology office were not only sweet and friendly to my daughters, but even gave them certificates for being "good patients" that get them free tokens to Chuck E Cheese. They could have easily acted put out that I had my whole crew with me, but they were instead very gracious and made the entire process smooth and positive for all of us.

Now, at the end of the day, I'd be lying if I said I'm feeling much better physically. My body is being stubborn, or maybe punishing me for taking so long to get the help I really needed, and I am healing slowly. But I was so blown away by all the acts of kindness bestowed upon me today. My emotional cup is overflowing, and that alone makes for a pretty fantastic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment