Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Wonders of Medicine

I have been sick for about two weeks now. It was not fun at first, but then seemed to be getting better on its own, so I chalked it up to a typical virus and waited for it to run its course. This weekend, however, I seemed to have a setback and was coughing as much as ever. Yesterday I finally broke down and decided I was so sick of being sick that I would go to the doctor. I don't remember the last time I went to the doctor for being sick. I don't even have a general practitioner I've seen before - I only have an OB - but with the help of Tricare I found an urgent care center by Jocie's preschool and headed there after having dropped her off.

Turns out I have severe bronchitis at the least. The doctor said he hopes it's not pneumonia and is going to try to treat it as bronchitis first. I was given a nebulizer treatment and sent home with three prescriptions to get filled. I had never had a nebulizer treatment before, and was shaking like a leaf when it was all said and done. (Apparently this is fairly typical, I just wish someone had prepared me for that before I got the treatment.) Then I took my "non-drowsy" decongestant, which is not so non-drowsy, so the rest of the day I was semi-comatose and jittery all at the same time. It was not fun, but it sure beat coughing so much my chest muscles hurt. I am a pretty healthy person, and when I do get sick I can usually kick it on my own. But today I am grateful for doctors who can give my body the extra help it needs to get better and return to my crazy life at full strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment