Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Adopted Family Christmas

I began my day a little melancholy. I was browsing Facebook and saw several pictures of people's Christmas days, many of which spent with extended family. Included in those were pictures one of my uncles put up of Christmas at my grandma's house. I have only been able to spend Christmas with my extended family twice in my life, but those two years are still very special to me. Several months back, Ben and I had hoped to get out to California again this Christmas, but between the timing and finances it just wasn't in the cards. As much as I knew intellectually we wouldn't make it, it still made my heart hurt a little to be so far away from all of our families this holiday.

Then this afternoon my heart was healed a bit. We went to our friends the Carlsons' house for their Adopted Family Christmas gathering. There was food, gifts, and overall chaos as adults roamed from room to room socializing while children ran in between legs squealing and having a grand time. It reminded me very much of the chaos that comes from the big Christmas dinner at my grandmother's house, which actually brought a smile to my face. I thought that while I still would have loved to spend the holidays with my family who I rarely see and miss greatly, God has blessed me with this family here in Virginia. I am so grateful for Katy and Chris for having welcomed us into their family, and making this year's Christmas just that much more special. We are truly blessed to be so loved and have so much family, blood and adopted, near and far.

No comments:

Post a Comment