Thursday, February 28, 2013

Little Girl, Big School

On Thursdays I not only pick up Ava from school but also another little girl, Jaelyn, and take her to the dance studio. Jaelyn is a patrol, so I get Ava first and then we wait for Jaelyn. Today she seemed a little later than usual, and I wanted to be sure that we hadn't missed her. Ava and I were waiting in the school lobby, and while we were waiting I saw Ava hug at least two of the other patrol girls. When I eventually mentioned that maybe we should ask if anyone had seen Jaelyn, Ava wasted no time in walking up to a patrol it was clear she didn't know and ask if she had seen Jaelyn. The girl politely told Ava she hadn't seen her and suggested that they could check in the after school care room. So I stood where I was and watched Ava walk down the hall with this girl in search of our riding buddy.

As I watched her, I couldn't help but think back to when I was around her age. I remember thinking the "big" sixth and seventh graders were SO much older. They seemed like grown ups, but cooler. I would never in a million years had the courage to talk to any of them, even the older siblings of my friends. My daughter is not intimidated by anyone. She had a job to do, saw someone she knew she could trust and who could help her, and did the job she needed to do. Even as an adult I admire her for her gumption. She certainly didn't get it from me, and I love her for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment