Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Let Me Entertain You

Today was a commissary day. I usually make my grocery runs on Mondays, but yesterday I had other errands to run so we got pushed back to today. I cannot begin to describe how much I did NOT want to go. I was tired and unmotivated, but since we were running low on pretty much everything I loaded up Jocelyn and Molly and set off.

I have to start off by saying it wasn't a bad trip. The children were not awful by any stretch. They were not angels either, so much of my time pushing a broken cart (let me tell you how much fun THAT was) I got to listen to the girls bickering at each other or whining at me. Add that to my wonderful disposition in the first place, and by the time we were heading to the checkout I could not move fast enough.

True to Murphy's Law, we pulled up to check out at the same time as everyone else. I was pulling the front of the cart forward as we moved along, and Jocie was pushing from the back. As I'm standing looking at nothing in particular, I notice Jocelyn making a funny noise. I look back to see her wiggling her fingers near her face and making silly noises and faces at the lady standing behind us. I hesitated, then looked apprehensively at this lady who my daughter was either amusing or terrorizing. Fortunately, it was the former, and the lady and Jocelyn made faces and laughed at each other for a few more minutes until we got up to our register. I love my kids unconditionally, but know that others are not required to. I was glad to find that today Jocie was able to bring a smile to someone else's day, as well as remind me to enjoy the smiles and forget about the ever-fleeting complaints and whines.

No comments:

Post a Comment