Monday, February 25, 2013

A Girl's Best Friend

Today Molly "got" to come with me to run errands all day. Since Ben has been home to help with watching the kids, it's been a while since Molly and I had a day together. She was a trooper, getting in and out of cars, carts, and strollers without protest, and I rewarded her with a few minutes playtime at the mall's play area.

Fast forward to bedtime this evening. Maybe I spoil Molly - I certainly didn't do this with my other two when they were this old - but every night I sit in my rocking chair with Molly on my lap, just for two or three minutes, before putting her to bed. Sometimes she'll tell me about what she did that day (like I wasn't there with her), other times she'll sing to me or babble to herself. This evening, Molly looked at me and put my face in both of her hands. I said, "I love you so much." To which she replied, "I love you so much, Mommy." And then, out of nowhere, she added, "You're my best friend." Well, kiddo, you are certainly one of my best friends too. It's moments like these that are why I love being a mom. I can have a day full of not-so-great moments with the kids (I didn't today, but it certainly happens), but a single sweet moment can erase all the bad in an instant. It may not have been a big deal for Molly to say those words, but they mean the world to me. Even if just for today, I was not just Molly's Momma but her friend, and that is an honor I truly cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment