Friday, February 8, 2013

Shoulder to Lean On

Today was not a great day for me. It is not the point of this blog for me to dwell on went wrong, but what was good about my day, so here was my ray of sunshine: Molly fell asleep in the car when we went to pick up Ava from school and take her to dance. Typically, the moment I take Molly out of her car seat and try to transfer her anywhere she immediately wakes up and starts squirming to get down and shake off the sleepiness. This afternoon, I took her out of the car and walked into the dance studio, and Molly stayed passed out on my shoulder for a good 30 minutes. She was dead to the world - girls were yelling and squealing not far away, and adults were talking in the lobby, none of which made her so much as flinch.

As much as she was leaning on my shoulder to sleep, I was leaning on her in those precious moments. There is little better in this world than a snuggly child curled up in my arms. No matter how crappy a day may seem, it cannot compare to the love that shoots out of a child trusting in you to hold them as they sleep. I breathed in her calm and peace, and in that moment was able to forget all my stresses. I focused on my daughter who placed herself literally in my arms and trusted me with her safety and well-being. I may not have had a banner day, but I have this wonderful child who loves me so greatly, and I am forever humbled and thankful for such a gift from God and from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment