Friday, July 13, 2012

The Wonder of Childhood

This afternoon we all went to a birthday party for a friend of Ava's. It was at one of the local pools, which was fun... except for the fact that it was overcast all day long, so the water was pretty darn cold. Do you think that stopped any of the children there? Hell no! I lost count of the number of kids I saw with blue lips or chattering teeth. Despite the cold, every child had a blast and was sad when it was time to go home.

This scene brought back a thought I've had many times this summer: kids are crazy. Just two weekends ago, when our power was out, we had spent days outside in 100+ degree weather, and yet once the air conditioning turned back on my kids were still asking to play outside at every opportunity. Today they were shivering from being so cold, but never complained or got out of the water unless forced. In the winter, these same children will play outside in temperatures below freezing just to see snow fall. I remember playing as a kid in these same conditions (well, except the snow) and it never bothered me either. I don't know at what point a person goes from being a carefree, oblivious kid to an adult who realizes extreme weather is not so fun, but I am having a blast watching my daughters ignore the elements and take pleasure in each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment