Friday, July 6, 2012

Rough Day

Oh. My. Goodness. I was struggling to come to the computer and write today's post because it seemed like such a crappy day. I felt like the girls ignored just about every single thing I said to them, and their constant whining, demanding, and battling one another was almost more than I could handle. There were so many moments when I truly felt the Holy Spirit gracing me with an extra boost of patience or peace to be able to walk away from the situation rather than blow up at my children. Add to that some personal stuff of my own I was dealing with, and the end of the day could not come fast enough.

As I was sitting trying to decompress in front of the tv, however, I started thinking that the real problem today was my attitude. I feel to do this blog justice I have to be honest with not only my readers but myself. And the truth is today was not much different than any other day, other than the fact that my coping skills took a hiatus. There were in fact many shining moments amid the chaos and frustration. Ava was once again a rock star helper today. She has made her bed every morning this week, and helped me clean many other areas of the house as well. Once, after one of my many self-appointed time outs, I came downstairs to find she had been cleaning the living room up, and had put the blanket over the back of the couch, a detail to cleaning I would not have expected from my 5-year-old. This afternoon, Molly was playing in the living room, and at least 4 or 5 times came up to me for no other reason than to give me a kiss. She would just walk over, look up at me with her big doe eyes, and wait for me to bend over to her eye level for my smooch. Ava ate a bowl of salad with dinner tonight - Ava, miss ultra-picky-eater, finished every leaf of lettuce in her bowl! Jocelyn had to be separated from her sisters quite a few times, but each time she would go to her room and play quietly rather than throw a tantrum for being isolated.

I feel like tonight's post really embodies why I began this blog in the first place. I'm not going to lie to you and say that after looking back on these bright spots I feel good about the day. The day still stunk, and I'm still not in a great mood. But just because my attitude is crappy and my ability to cope with life's curveballs wasn't the best today doesn't make it a bad day. I'm not Sally Sunshine everyday, nor do I try to be. But I will remember that the day was not a complete loss, and those bright spots made the day more bearable, even if only for a short while. There are blessings hidden in each day - sometimes finding them is just a little more challenging. I pray that tonight I can recharge and have a much easier time finding blessings in my tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment