Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Full Circle

After 3 years I have finally gotten around to having an eye exam and a new glasses prescription. This evening I took Ava and went to a glasses store in search for new frames. I seem to have been successful, but was really funny was how Ava fell in LOVE with the style of having glasses. She began trying on several frames herself, and finally settled on a pair of fushia plastic frames. She pleaded with me to get her a pair of glasses too. Watching her wanting to wear glasses so badly transported me back to my own childhood. For some reason I cannot explain, I desperately wanted to wear glasses when I was young. I even bought a pair of fake frames when I was 8 or 9. I now know why my parents told me I was silly to want glasses. I couldn't help but laugh at Ava, and tell her the same thing my parents told me all those years ago: that given her parents' genes she will wear glasses soon enough, and shortly after that the glamour of glasses will lose its luster. But crush that kid's spirit? Not me, not anytime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment