Friday, July 20, 2012

Take Nothing for Granted

This morning I got to turn on Good Morning America for the first time in months. Unfortunately rather than the light news they usually broadcast there was the horrible story of the massacre in a Colorado movie theater. While I can never begin to imagine the pain and heartache those many victims are feeling, today's tragedy served as yet another reminder to stop and notice all the small things I so often take for granted. Things like:
   - Molly's obsession with hair clips, even though she barely has enough hair to need one
   - the kissy face Jocelyn makes when she pouts
   - Ava's constant babbling due to her lack of an internal voice
   - the indescribable feeling I get when any of my girls give me a hug
   - Molly's great love of books, even when that means an empty bookshelf and books all over the floor
   - Ava and Jocelyn snuggled together watching a movie
It is so difficult to make sense of such evil and violence as we saw today. I am grateful that my kids are young enough to be shielded from it all. And yet, for every evil act there is good that comes flooding in. So many prayers and other forms of outreach have been seen in the wake of this tragedy. For my house, I've decided each night when the girls say prayers they will pick someone to pray for. It is their choice, but each evening we will lift someone up in prayer as our response to this sad event. It is my sincere hope that everyone can find some hope in the wake of such despair, and take these oppprtunities to look around and realize how fragile life can be, and just how blessed each one of us truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment