Sunday, July 1, 2012

An Unexpected Adventure

Today's post really begins last night. As I wrote, we were without power all Friday night and yesterday. We had been okay Friday night because our house was already nice and cool and stayed that way, but the lack of air movement got to me very quickly. I soon came to the realization that I could sleep another night in the house if I HAD to, but I certainly didn't WANT to if I could at all help it. Enter the Yezefskis. Jackson was in Ava's preschool class this past year, and if you ask them they will get married when they grow up. Molly became quite attached to Jackson's mom Sara throughout the school year, and we've all hung out a few times. They were coming to Ben's party last night, and were actually the people who helped me find the pizza that saved our food situation. When Sara got to our house, one of the first things she asked me was if we were still without power. When I said yes, she immediately said, "Do you want to come back to our house tonight? We have power and plenty of room for you all to sleep." I think I actually whined my reply of ye-hes, please!! The idea of having a cool, non-stagnant air supply to sleep in made the heat of the birthday party bearable.

So we stayed last night and much of our day today with Jackson, Sara, and Brent. We were blessed this morning to learn that our power had been restored sometime in the early hours of the morning, but we had turned off the air conditioning unit for fear that too many surges would blow the system so our house was still very warm. Ben went back to turn the air back on, while the kids played for a couple hours. Then we all went and spent some time at the pool. It was hot out, but the water was nice and cool, and the kids had an total blast playing in the water.

I cannot begin to express my gratitude to the Yezefskis. For them to open their house to us for a night was more than generous. But we were told multiple times last night that we were welcome to stay for however many days is was going to take to get power restored. We brought nothing but ourselves, and were fed, given beds to sleep in, and wonderful company to share the day with. It could have been a very miserable night and day, and instead it was an impromptu adventure that was enjoyed by all. I feel so blessed to have such great friends, and hope I can show the same generosity to others one day.

Molly was very content on the edge of the pool - wasn't much into actually getting in

lunch break!

Ava loves swimming... as long as her floaties are on :-/

Jocelyn, on the other hand, didn't leave the steps, even with the floaties on

Jackson and Ava :)

No comments:

Post a Comment