Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Today I am feeling blessed with the gift of life. We went to yet another bar-b-que today, but this afternoon our host stood up and asked us to take a moment to remember why we were really celebrating today - to remember all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice to protect others. I looked around at the 3 men who were there - a medically discharged submarine guy, Ben (a former SWO and current Navy reservist), and a National Guard reservist - and their wives and children, and was completely humbled by how blessed we are. We have seen our share of deployments, and while I always took comfort in Ben's relative safety on a ship as opposed to on the ground in a foreign country, I honestly feel the only reason he is here while others don't make it home is by the grace of God. So many men and women volunteer to put their lives at stake in service to their country; many of them work thankless duties or can't talk about what they've done and seen. I am not sure how they do it, and will never know how to thank them enough for answering this special calling. I am fortunate enough to say I have never known anyone close to me killed in the line of duty. I thank God for keeping the service men and women I know safe, and pray he continues to do so in the years to come. May we all be thankful for the lives and freedoms we are blessed to have, and remember on this Memorial Day and always those who put their own lives on the line to protect these liberties.

No comments:

Post a Comment