Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Best Husband

Today was not the day I had planned. You'd think by now I would know better, right? We had a Saturday full of playdates, dance meetings and practices, and a date night for Ben and I to celebrate our anniversary that's next week. It became clear early on that I would not be doing any of these things. Shortly after noon I was told that the team working on Molly wanted her to stay another night. They wanted her to go 24 hours with no fever on her own (without meds) before releasing her. Since she had had a fever at 2am, that meant either getting discharged in the middle of the night of just staying until Sunday morning.

This morning I had called to check in with Ben and let him know what had originally been planned for the day. Do what you want, or do nothing, I had told him. People will understand if we bail on stuff due to Molly being in the hospital. He decided to go through with all of our original plans. Our friends still came over to play for a short while (we were actually having them over while our friend's husband set up her surprise party at their parents' home - it worked out great!). Ben took Ava and Jocie to the dance studio for his parent meeting and stayed for Ava's rehearsal and a small teacher appreciation thing afterwards. The only plans to change were of course our date night. Instead, after dinner he brought the girls to come and visit Molly and I. We all hung out in the room watching a movie and catching up.

I am not sure I have ever been so grateful to have Ben as my partner in life. I know that it was hard for him to not be with Molly this weekend. I know that being at home not hearing firsthand what's happening with her was really hard. But he held down the fort and kept life normal for our other kids. I wasn't worried for a second about what was happening at home. I am unbelievably grateful that he let me stay with Molly and care for her while he took care of everything else. It was a sacrifice for him that I cannot thank him enough for. I have the best husband in the world - I never doubt that, but days like today make me take notice and appreciate him all the more.

Good morning!

playing with bubbles provided by the nurse

SO happy Daddy came to visit

No comments:

Post a Comment