Sunday, June 23, 2013

Like No One is Watching

We finished our crazy dance weekend with the dance company cast party. Everybody dresses up, eats overpriced food, socializes, and of course, dances. As should be surprise to no one, least of all me, Ava was one of the first kids out on the dance floor and one of the last to leave. But as I was watching her get her groove on, I was struck by an interesting realization. Most of the kids would dance full out with each other for a few minutes, then either stop dancing to chat or do some outrageous move to gain attention. Ava did neither of those things. She got out on the dance floor, would dance with people if they were around, but otherwise would dance - full out - all on her own. She didn't care if anyone was watching; truth be told, I don't even think she was aware of her surroundings at all. I kept thinking of the saying "Dance like nobody is watching." I don't know that I've ever thought of it too much, but that was exactly what Ava was doing. She was dancing as a way of letting out whatever she was feeling on the inside. I can honestly say that I have never danced like no one is watching; seeing Ava, however... I wondered for the first time in my life if maybe I'm missing out.

Ava (and Molly) getting their groove on

"workin' it"

No comments:

Post a Comment