Monday, June 10, 2013

Muddy Mess

We have been getting a lot of rain recently. A LOT of rain. We walked outside to talk to our neighbors and let the kids play around. After a bit the boys next door began to take notice of a rather large puddle that was in their front yard. They started toeing around the outside, getting wetter and wetter as time went on.

I was shocked by what happened next: Molly saw these boys playing in the mud, and decided it would be fun to join them. She did the same thing, taking it slow at first, but after a few minutes was full-on splashing around in this muddy puddle. Even more surprising was a few minutes later when Ava joined in the mud puddle play! The boys' mom and I were just standing there watching and laughing. I felt like this was one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments. I certainly do not encourage my children playing in mud puddles, and I had a heck of a time getting them cleaned up afterwards. But for a half hour these kids had an absolute blast getting absolutely filthy in this mud puddle. I enjoyed watching them have such a great time... but they had better have gotten their fill, because I'm not sure it will ever happen again.

Molly testing the puddle out

This is fun!

Ava mid-jump

That poor patch of lawn may never recover

Molly wanted to see what she looked like - she laughed when she saw what a mess she really was!

No comments:

Post a Comment