Monday, June 24, 2013

Miss Jiu Jitsu

Over the last month, Jocelyn has been trying a jiu jitsu class. She has loved it from day one, but it has not been the easiest fit. She is the youngest by at least a few years and is usually the only girl. We hit a bit of a low point last week when Jocie spent more of her time chasing the boys trying to kiss them and tell them she loves them than actually learning jiu jitsu. Ben and I discussed taking her out and trying again later on, but decided to give it a few more weeks.

We didn't have to wait nearly that long. This evening Jocelyn and Ben came home from the gym very happy. There had been another 4-year-old in the class, which seemed to help Jocie out tremendously. The most remarkable part for me: at dinner I asked Jocelyn what was the coolest thing she learned in class. (I do this with the girls' dance classes too - it's easier for them to tell me one specific thing than recount an entire class.) Rather respond with "I don't know" like she usually does, she tells me the specific name of a move. I won't even pretend to remember what its name was, but it was a "sweep" move, and she was able to show me exactly where her hands would be placed on her opponent as she kicked his legs out from under him. I was blown away that she had picked that up. Now not only is she having fun but she is learning something. That makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment