Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Peacemaker

Today was one of those really rough days. Jocelyn had her well-child check up which included four immunizations. I didn't have time to shower before leaving the house so I felt not-quite-right. And both Jocie and Molly were acting up more than usual. By quiet time I literally put the two of them in front of a movie and came upstairs to try and re-gather myself. It worked a little, but after over two hours at the dance studio I once again found myself in the car with very unhappy children.

They all wanted to listen to music; the problem was they couldn't agree on what kind of music. Jocelyn wanted to listen to the Fresh Beat Band, Molly and Ava wanted the Backstreet Boys. Then the choices would change but there was still no agreement. I told them we just wouldn't listen to anything and went about my driving. Ava, however, wouldn't give up so easily. She spent most of the car ride home trying to come up with a solution everyone could agree on. She got frustrated once or twice but didn't give up. Finally, about five minutes from home all three were able to agree on the Fresh Beat Band, so we listened to a couple songs before getting out of the car.

I was so impressed with Ava's ability to not give up and keep working toward a solution to their problem. I figured I could learn a thing or two from her and follow her lead. After a long and tense day my daughters and I had a picnic dinner of pizza and pears in the living room. Everyone was content and peaceful the rest of the evening - there were no more tears or nasty words to be heard. I told Ava this evening how proud I was that she kept working to solve their problem, even when I had given up trying. It was not an easy process, but Ava reminded me tonight that the day is not over until we are all in bed asleep, and I have to keep working until the very end to make it the best day I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment