Friday, March 22, 2013

Steps Forward

I start tonight's entry with some back story... My brother Kevin and I have never been especially close. I went off to college when he was 12 and entering that lovely stage of teenage-boy-non-verbal-communication. While I still called and tried to keep in touch, it became easier to save catching up for when we were face-to-face. Then I graduated, moved away, and we continued to grow apart. I am not happy with the way things have worked out, but I've accepted where we're at.

Tonight, Kevin called me... just because. Well, maybe he called partly to talk to my mom who is still visiting us. But any other time I would have answered the phone, he would have asked if Mom was here, I would say yes, and he would ask me to pass the phone to her. Done. Tonight, he asked how I was... and we talked for a good 20 minutes or so. And not about anything important - how he is settling in, how my girls are doing, that kind of thing. He did eventually chat with my mom, but only after we had said all we were going to say. I will be totally and brutally honest - I was pretty weirded out after our conversation. I mean, I don't think we have had a real conversation like that EVER. But it is a nice step toward building a better relationship, and I am very glad to be getting the chance to re-build with my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment