Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papam

Today a new pope was selected by the cardinals of the Catholic Church. If ever there was a doubt of a higher being... I never watch television during the day. Ever. But this afternoon Molly went down for her nap a little late, and by the time I had settled Jocie into quiet time it was nearly 2pm. So I decided to indulge myself for 15 minutes with some good ol' General Hospital. Less than 5 minutes in the news crew broke in with the news that that the Conclave had sent white smoke billowing out announcing a new pope had been chosen. It was truly by the grace of God that I happened to have the television on a non-children's network during daytime hours.

I spent the next hour and a half watching this incredible event. I did not get to see the last pope announcement 8 years ago - I was in college and actually in class when Pope Benedict emerged for the first time from behind the curtain. I was blown away by all the people from all over the globe who traveled to Rome just to be a part of this historical event. I loved the sense of sacred tradition - that in a world with Twitter and Facebook no one had any idea who would be announced until that very moment. I was especially moved by the thought of how special it is that even though I am so far removed from all that happened in Rome today, my prayers were joined with the prayers of MILLIONS of people from all over the globe to support and lift up a man who hours ago we did not even know existed. It was a special day for my Church and myself, and a day I will not soon forget. May God bless Pope Francis, today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment