Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Medicine (flavor) Magic

We are trying a new medicine regimen for Molly's periodic fevers. It's basically Zantac, an antihistamine/antacid that for whatever reason has been shown in studies to lesson the severity of fever episodes or even possibly make them go away entirely. The only problem is that Molly has to take almost 4mL of this liquid a day, and it tastes NASTY. Last night I just put a single drop on my tongue, and I have no idea how she's been willingly ingesting this medicine for the past few days.

The good news is now pharmacies can flavor just about any medicine with just about any flavor you can think of. I called the pharmacist this morning to ask if I could bring our medicine back in to have flavor added, and she agreed. I can't imagine it will make it taste THAT much better, but any improvement is something. More than anything I am thankful for a child who takes her medicine like a champ, especially since it looks as though she'll be requiring medication quite a bit. But I'm also thankful for the advances in medicine, even as minor as adding flavor to make a medicine taste better. It's often these little things that we take for granted but make life just that little bit easier, and that is truly something to be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment