Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day of School, Round 1

Today Ava started the first grade. It was a pretty standard first day: with all the excitement and anticipation we were ready to go with plenty of time - breakfast eaten, new outfit worn, lunch packed. I took the obligatory first day of school picture, although mine are not as cute or creative as some. We met up with the neighbors to walk to school together. I walked Ava into the cafeteria to wait with the other first graders and seemed to overstay my welcome as Ava would barely look at me as I tried to say good-bye to her. I kissed her and took my other two girls to start the walk back home.

Little Miss First Grader

A nice sister picture

Adia, Zain, and Ava ready to walk to school

What struck me today was not how the first day of school hit Ava or me, but how it affected Jocelyn and Molly. We were about 25 feet outside the cafeteria doors when Molly suddenly started sobbing violently, "I WANT MY SISTER!!" She was teary all the way home. Jocelyn did not express herself so plainly but was more subdued than usual most of the day. When we saw Ava come out of the school at the end of the day, Molly jumped out of the stroller and ran toward her biggest sister. They gave each other the biggest hug, and it completely melted my heart. My girls are all good friends and get along very well, but it's not often they show such obvious signs of affection. Today was a hard adjustment for my two little ones who have to wait another week before they start preschool. It was a good reminder however of the truth in the saying "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." Molly missed her big sister today, and appreciated their time together that much more when Ava came home.

Molly insisted on bringing her own backpack to Ava's first day of school

This does not do it justice, but here is Molly moping after we'd dropped Ava off

Sisters reunited


No comments:

Post a Comment