Saturday, September 21, 2013

Football-lovin' Gals

Today was a long and draining day. I thought on more than one occasion that if we lived closer to either Ben's or my parents, today would have been one of those days when I just dropped the kids on the grandparents' doorstep and ran away. Molly and Jocelyn seemed to have looked in each other's direction when they woke up and decided, "I'm going to make every second of your day a living hell." We spent the evening with friends which helped break up the day, but as we drove home I was more than ready to just throw the kids in their pj's and put them to bed.

When we got home, however, Ava asked if after they put their pajamas on we could all watch a little football together. As much as I was looking forward to some alone time, I couldn't say no to such a request. So I turned on the A&M/SMU game and my three daughters and I watched the second quarter together. I spent much of my time explaining rules and plays to Ava, who seems to be happy to learn more about the sport. We unfortunately learned that while it SHOULD be a given that a touchdown earns a team seven points, if you root for the Aggies chances are you'll lose a few of those extra kick points. In one breath Ava was saying she'd never want to play football because she wouldn't like "people trying to smash her head into the ground;" in the next she was asking if girls who play football wear makeup when they play. Jocelyn gets more intense watching the replays in slow motion, wincing and oohing at this tackle or that throw. Molly just watches every play saying "Come on, come on, gogogo!!" I know the last few Saturdays my blessing moment has involved football. That's because it still makes me so happy to finally be sharing this sport that I am so passionate about with my girls. I don't know that my children will ever love football as much as I do, but hopefully these evenings of watching games together will create memories that we will all appreciate and cherish.

snuggled up and watching the game 

Not the best lighting but some pretty great smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment