Monday, September 16, 2013

Love and Support

This morning I was driving away from having dropped off Jocelyn at preschool when I received a text from Ben. The text read: "Just so you know, I'm okay." I was rather confused - why would I think otherwise? Then I began hearing as the horrific events unfolded at the Navy Yard, in which a gunman opened fire which killed at least 12 people and injuring several others. Of course, the texts, Facebook messages, and phone calls started pouring in. Preemptively, I put my Facebook page that Ben was not on the Navy Yard and therefore out of harm's way.

Over the course of the day, I was moved yet again by just how much my family and I are loved. No less than 75 people "liked" my status update saying Ben was safe, and probably 20 more wrote notes of relief that expressed gladness of knowing Ben is safe and sending prayers to the families who were not so lucky. My friend Sara met me at Target shortly after I had heard from Ben. Not knowing if I knew what had happened yet, she wanted to be sure I was not alone and wanted to be my "buffer" if I needed a friend. It is incredibly humbling to know that so many people care about my family and I so very much.

I in turn was able to be of support to a friend of ours. Her husband does not work at the Navy Yard but had the misfortune of being there today to rehearse for a retirement ceremony. He was not in the building where the shootings occurred but was on lockdown for most of the day, and then had to spend almost as much time debriefing. So I did the only thing I could: I invited Lynda and her two sons over for dinner. It was not fancy by any stretch - we had hot dogs and macaroni and cheese, and my house was a total mess (hadn't gotten much cleaning done thanks to watching the live news coverage). But for a fellow young mom, I was able to provide distraction for her and her boys, as well as some added adult presence when her usual relief couldn't make it home.

If I think about it too much, I could easily become paralyzed with fear. But I instead focus on the many people who I know support me, and the small but important ways that I can help others. That is what makes life worth living, and what I am grateful for most on hard days like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment