Friday, July 19, 2013

The Last (LONG) Dance Day

Today marked the final day of our nationals dance competition adventure. And as I should expect by now, it was a bit longer than I had expected it to be. Ava performed in one routine, her ballet production Disney Dreams. They did a great job, the perfect ending to an amazing competition season... or so I thought. Turned out that number was invited to participate in the competition's Ultimate Challenge that afternoon, an event in which the best in each category reperformed their routines in a battle of the best of the best. This of course meant that instead of heading home just after 1pm we were staying until at least 5pm. Add in my dance-obsessed daughter wanting to watch EVERY number again, and we finally pulled out of Atlantic City just after 9pm.

The key moment of the day for me happened as Ava came off the stage following the first awards ceremony. I'm not even going to lie, I screamed primarily out of frustration when I heard Disney Dreams get invited to the Ultimate Challenge. (I was proud of myself for not swearing out loud.) I had enjoyed my time at this competition, but after three and a half days I was very ready to go home. However, when Ava came off the stage and ran to me, the first words out of her mouth were, "Mom, we get to dance again!!" The sheer joy she wore on her face made it all worthwhile. The nights of being kicked by Ava while sharing a bed, the endless hours watching dances, the days of eating microwaved macaroni and cheese and raman noodles - I would do it all again in a heartbeat for Ava to dance one more time. This may not always be her passion, but while it is I will do all I can to support her and help her grow.

one last early morning (this picture was slightly staged)

ready to dance, watching others perform

done dancing! (Or so we thought)

Ava accepted the plaque for Disney Dreams scoring 6th highest in the 13-15yr production division - it was funny to see her up there, totally unfazed by being surrounded by kids twice her size and age

No comments:

Post a Comment