Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Atlantic City or Bust

This afternoon Ava and I set out for our adventure to Atlantic City. Ava's dance company is competing in a national dance competition being held there, so we loaded up costumes, swimsuits, and (hopefully) enough food for the next several days.

I had a very sweet moment with Jocelyn as we got ready this morning. We had to make one last Target run to pick a few last things for the trip. Included on our list was a gift for one of the girls we will be staying with. Molly Allan's birthday is today, so we thought it would be nice to pick up a few things in the dollar section to bring for her. Molly has a twin sister Caroline, but as she wasn't going to be on the trip with us I hadn't planned to get anything for her. But Jocelyn was adamant - "Momma, I have to buy something for Caroline too!" So while Ava picked out Molly's gifts, Jocelyn found a few things for Caroline as well. Jocie and Caroline are not especially close, but I was very proud that she was being so thoughtful of another person.

This afternoon was much more difficult on me than my kids. All morning as I was packing up I kept feeling like I was forgetting something. Eventually I realized I felt I was forgetting my younger two daughters. While intellectually I know they would have been bored out of their skulls had they come with us, it was still hard to leave them - I've never left either for this long. But when I left them at our neighbors' house to play until Ben came home from work, they gave me quick hugs and ran off to play with their friends. They will be fine and have a fun week, and while I will still miss them like crazy it is such a blessing to not have them clinging and sobbing when I have to leave them.

The drive into Jersey gave me a sneak peek into the fun I am going to have with Ava this week. I drove and Ava watched movies. Every now and then I would point out something we were driving past, and Ava asked for a snack once or twice, but overall we just sat quietly. I forget sometimes how much Ava has grown and how independent she is becoming. On such a long car trip it was so nice to have a travel companion that wasn't whiny or needy.

It was a long day, but we ended in a nice hotel with our wonderful friends and roommates for the next few days. The girls all squealed and ran around, excited to be together; Heather and I had what I am sure will be the first of many nice conversations as the girls entertained themselves. It will be a great next few days, and I can't wait to see what happens.

this week's roomies - Natalie, Abigail, Molly, and Ava

No comments:

Post a Comment