Sunday, July 28, 2013

Success!! (sort of)

Today I felt blessed in a very roundabout way. Yesterday morning Molly woke up with yet another of her fevers. This is the first fever episode she's had since she was diagnosed with the mysterious Periodic Fever Syndrome. So as much as I never want my child to be sick, I was kind of interested to see if the treatment we had been prescribed would really make the fever magically disappear as it was supposed to.

This morning Molly woke up with a fever of 105. I gave her the dose of steroid she'd been prescribed, followed shortly afterward with some Motrin. Within a single hour, she was a completely different child. She went from feverish and puny to spunky and chatty. She was still warm, but I could feel the fever was going down. The difference in her behavior and mood was just astonishing. However, I was cautious with my judgement, thinking the ibuprophen could just be kicking in and her fever might return in a few hours. It never did. I am still confused by this whole diagnosis, but for Molly to have only had to suffer through 24 hours of a horrid fever rather than 5 or 6 days is a huge step in the right direction. I am grateful for knowledgable doctors and for what seems to be great progress for my youngest daughter's health.

No comments:

Post a Comment