Monday, July 29, 2013

A Great Molly-day

I have said it before but I feel it bears repeating: I love all my children equally and do not in any way have a favorite. However, as is human nature, there are some days when one child has an exceptional day and so I appreciate that child all the more. Today that child was Molly. After her fantastic fever recovery yesterday, she decided to start the day off right by sleeping until 7:45am, almost an entire HOUR later than usual. During our Target run this morning she sat in the cart without a single complaint, helped put our purchases on the conveyer belt without being asked, and never ONCE asked for anything for herself. (Be very sure she was the only one NOT begging for something at least once every other minute.) This evening we were walking up and down our street, where many of the neighbors still have American flags standing next to their mailboxes from Independence Day. Every flag Molly saw she wanted to grab; every time I told her no. And every time she would respond by leaning over and kissing the flag. It was a silly act but sweet in a way as well.

Finally and most hilarious, I had popped in to my neighbor's house to chat for a few minutes. I had told Ava I would peek out the window every now and then, but to keep an eye on Molly. At one point I looked out and didn't see Molly. I went outside to ask where she was, and Ava responded with, "In our house, going to the bathroom!" Semi-scolding Ava for not having come to tell me, I walked back home. About 25 feet from my front door, I hear, "MOOOOOOMMMMMMMAAAA!" Not in a panic or angry, it just sounded like Molly had been calling for me for a few minutes. When I walked in the house, there she was, sitting on her princess potty with dry underpants having gone to the potty all on her own. To add perspective, this time last week Molly had gone back to being in diapers full time because she was not ever making it to the potty. For her to have been outside our house and gotten to the potty in time is a pretty big deal. Today was a pretty spectacular day for my youngest daughter, and that made it a pretty great day for me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment