Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Steps Forward

Yesterday I wrote about Jocelyn, and today I will as well but for a very different reason. Jocelyn has been struggling in school for a few months now. Most of the time she's doing great, but every now and then something will go wrong (or not the way she wants it to) and she loses her cool. As in will cry very loudly, sometimes for extended periods of time. On Monday I stayed after dismissal yet again to be filled on yet another rough day. I came home feeling very upset - this is Jocie's last week of school, so there's no time for her to have significant improvement. I feel at this point that now at the end of the year she is behaviorally behind where she was in September. I feel like I have done all I can to work on her at home and prep her for her school days, and am at a loss as to where we go from here.

So today I asked to speak to one or both of the preschool directors, who happen to also be the two 4-year-old class teachers. I was able to talk to Ava's teacher from last year, who is familiar with both Jocelyn and her recent struggles. We got to talk for about 20 minutes, and I got so much great feedback from her. She was very matter-of-fact in what would and would not be tolerated from Jocelyn next year, but also armed me with loads of suggestions as to how I might work with Jocie this summer to help her better her behavior. I was reminded of how blessed I feel to have found this preschool for my kids. Each member of the staff truly love my children (and all the students) and want to do all in their power to ensure these kids succeed. We still have some major work to do, but I feel much less overwhelmed about the task ahead of me. Ben and I are Jocie's parents, but there are many other wonderful people helping us raise our children, and for that I am incredibly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment