Friday, May 10, 2013

Early Mother's Day

This morning both Ava and Jocelyn had Mother's Day Teas at their schools. Logistically, this meant a bit of rushing around for me. But it was more than worth it. Jocelyn had the extra special treat of having both Ben and I show up for her tea. Since Ben couldn't go to the Donuts with Dad morning, he was more than happy to join us for tea. And it made it easier for me to leave Jocie's tea early to drive to Ava's school. We had strawberries, pastries, and tea, and I got a cute paper and gift from Jocelyn. It was a short but very sweet way to start the morning.



Then it was off to Ava's class. Their tea was a little more involved - they sang songs, read poems, gave the moms a few gifts, and had a special snack of their own. The cutest part was as we were getting ready for the snack. Ava's teacher reminded the kids that since this was a morning for their moms, that the kids should get plates of food and serve their moms before getting a snack for themselves. The entire time I could see the dual feelings of pride for being big enough to help their moms, and depression that they were not getting to dig right into the yummy snacks themselves. They were all great, and we moms felt very special. 




Both Ava and Jocelyn are at that perfect age where they come up with things to write or say about their moms that genuinely come from the heart. They don't say things because they have to or they think it's what they are supposed to say. When Ava was asked why she loves me, she said because I am so pretty. Jocelyn said she loves me because I make her laugh so hard when I tickle her head. I laugh at the honesty and silliness of both responses, but they mean more to me than any gift ever could. I am so blessed to be the mother to such incredible children. Today I felt very loved, and that is a fantastic way to kick off Mother's Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment