Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Mother's Gift

Today was a very nice Mother's Day. My husband and girls brought me breakfast in bed - Ben delivered the pancakes, Ava brought in powdered sugar, Jocelyn the syrup, and Molly gave me a coupon book that the girls had made. There were all kinds of cute coupons, from a free nap to a hundred to car washes to a million dishes washed (by Daddy, of course). The rest of the day was full of quiet, sweet moments. Molly napped with me. Jocelyn snuggled with me and watched some basketball. Ava kept trying to find things to do or gifts to give me so I would know how special I am to her. And I did feel very special today. I wouldn't trade a second of my life as a mom, and it was nice for all of us to celebrate that today.

I was also thinking a lot today about the other mothers in my life. I feel blessed to share this day with so many other strong, incredible women. I remember in a special way those who are having to celebrate Mother's Day without one of their loved ones. It seems as though several people I am close to have either lost a mother or children in the last year. I was talking with my friend Heather on Friday, and she was describing how hard Mother's Day was going to be this year. Even though it's not a "big" holiday, it's all about the love between mothers and their children. When one of those people is missing it makes the holiday a difficult one to get through. If there is one thing I have learned in the last 6 1/2 years, it is that once you are a mother you are always a mother. From the moment you know there is a little person growing inside you until you take your last breath, you are a mother. It is truly a calling and a blessing, and I wish nothing but the best for all of the women blessed to be called Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment