Wednesday, May 29, 2013

ER Date Night

Tonight I got to take Ben to the emergency room. Long story VERY short, his eardrum seems to have erupted. We of course managed to pick a hospital that had received multiple ambulance and helicopter deliveries of patients, but in less than two hours we were on our way out the door with prescription in hand.

What I kept thinking about throughout the whole situation was that this was one of those Love Is times. Tonight, love was imposing on a neighbor to sit in my house while my children slept so I could sit in a nasty ER waiting room with my husband. It was listening to the doctor say that his eardrum MAY have ruptured but he couldn't see any holes to indicate it. It was driving through what used to be the 24-hour pharmacy less than a mile from my house only to discover that it is no longer in fact a 24-hour pharmacy. Because Ben was in real pain tonight - he would not have asked to go to the doctor so late at night otherwise. And no matter how tired I was, despite the fact I wanted to do nothing more than sit on my couch and watch TV while folding laundry, I did not hesitate for a second to get Ben the help he needed. Because his health and comfort are more important than any of that other stuff. I am sad we couldn't get him more immediate relief, but am glad we got answers and Ben is now on the road to recovery. I am sure it won't be long before I am giving him a hard time for rupturing his ear drum just to spend some time out of the house alone with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment