Saturday, January 7, 2012

the Power of Dance

Today I remembered not once but twice how blessed we have been to meet many amazing people through Ava's dance studio, Chris Collins Dance Studio. This is Ava's third year going there, and I honestly don't know where we would be without them.

Two people in particular stood out to me today. The first was Debbi Olszowy. She has two daughters who dance at the studio, Victoria and Veronica, who are older and have babysat my kids several times. In addition, we have employed Debbi's skills as a hairstylist on a number of occasions in the last year. The past two months or so Debbi has been an even greater Godsend by being my unofficial lice expert. Ava was infested with some serious lice just before Thanksgiving, and shared with both Jocelyn and I. As soon as I found them in Ava's hair, I was on the phone with Debbi, not really in a panic, just looking for information. I never had lice as a kid, and had NO idea (other than buying Rid) what the heck I needed to do to take care of them. She has spent many an hour writing emails and returning phone calls answering all my dumb questions and reassuring me that things will get better. She unfortunately found one again on me about a week and a half ago, and again has been so wonderful in helping to check me to be sure I'm taking care of them for good. (Ben tries, but in the end he's a boy and just not as thorough) She has been so great, not just as a resource but as a non-judgmental listener to my frustrations and whinings about these dumb little bugs. I am so grateful to have her as a friend.

Then there is Heather Allan. Her daughter, Molly, and Ava are in the same dance classes together for the second year. The two girls have been talking about having a playdate since last spring, and finally got to have one this afternoon. Heather took Ava home with them for a few hours to play, and Ava had a great time. Heather and her husband, Scott, have four children. Their youngest son, Everett, has a VERY rare genetic disorder which requires constant observation and many long hospital stays. Oh, and then one other daughter is autistic and another has diabetes. I mean, I cannot begin to imagine how physically, mentally, and spiritually taxing their everyday life must be. What inspires me is how Heather deals with what life has handed her. She never tries to pretend to have it all together, not needing others help or acting as though it's not tough or without lots of effort. However, she is also not a wallower - she does not expect any sympathy or breaks from anyone. If I ask her how she's doing, I know she will tell me the truth - sometimes things are going really well, and sometimes they're not. I strive to view life that way, and not worry so much about what image I may be giving off to those around me. In the end, there are so many more important things.

No comments:

Post a Comment