Monday, January 9, 2012

Healthy Baby

Today Molly shot up to saintly status. Just before Thanksgiving we discovered she has an allergy to eggs after having a moderate reaction to some scrambled eggs. We also suspected she might have issues with bananas, and after talking to her pediatrician at her 1-year check-up we were referred to an allergist. Molly's appointment was scheduled for 2:30pm this afternoon. We did not even make it back to an exam room until almost 3:35pm. The nurse prepared 13 items to scratch-test her with. I wrapped her arms around me as she sat on my lap facing me so she wouldn't squirm or scratch too much. The child DID NOT MOVE. She DID NOT CRY. She just sat there as this woman poked her 13 times, without so much as whining or flinching. The nurse came back a few minutes later, made her observations of the reactions, and then moved us to another exam room. This new room at least had a table and toys for kids - and it was a good thing because we again waited over an hour for the doctor to come in and talk to us. We left just after 5pm - over two-and-a-half hours after we arrived. There was more than one time during our many waits that I wanted to scream and run around - but Molly did what she always does, taking life as it comes and not making an unnecessary fuss.

In addition to this great appreciation for my well-behaved third child, I was reminded today of just how lucky we've been to have such healthy children. Molly does in fact have allergies to egg and banana, and also had reactions to milk products and one or two other things. The great news is none of these allergies are severe - we are just instructed to not give her any foods with eggs or bananas, and we will slowly reintroduce these foods as times goes on. Molly was also put on an antihistamine in hopes that it will help with her nasal congestion. She has been by far my "sickest" kid. She has had viral head colds 4 or 5 times already in her first year of life, and now the allergies. Ava and Jocelyn have each MAYBE had 1 to 2 colds that made them sick enough to stay in bed or need medication. We've not had ear infections. We've not had stomach issues. So many of the illnesses kids typically deal with we have managed to avoid all these years. How blessed am I that the biggest worry I have is making sure Molly steers clear of eggs and bananas? I think I can handle that, and thank God for the wonderful health he has bestowed on my daughters so far.

2 comments:

  1. Aw! Poor brave baby! She and I have the whole allergies thing in common, but lucky for you she and I do not have the same level of pain tolerance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO sorry :( ALL my boys have had some allergies early in life, and Noah and Hudson have outgown all of theirs. Eli has the same with bananas (that is SO weird to me) and to dairy. It is hard, but also easy to take something out if it will make them feel better. Enjoying your new blog, love you!

    ReplyDelete