Monday, January 30, 2012

Out of the Mouth of Ava

Today I was entertained time and time again by the things that came out of Ava's mouth. Ava has been my verbal child from the beginning. I blame much of this on the fact that Ben went on deployment when she was 12 to 18 months old; therefore, Ava and I were alone together for the great majority of the time. So I talked to her day in and day out for months - it was only a matter of time before she started talking back. And boy did she! She was making sentences before 2, saying prayers shortly after, and always making her opinion known to anyone willing to listen (and often those not so willing).

Today had some real gems. Here are just a few:

-- Ava came rushing into the study this morning after she had seen a commercial about some movie airing on TV next week. "Mom, I should NOT see this movie. All these kids are telling stories and some of them come to life but they are NOT nice stories, some of the kids grow things out of their heads and turn colors and I do NOT need to see that movie." All of this said with arms flying around and face animated as can be. After her multi-sentence monologue that took only one breath to say, she waited for no response but promptly left the room, leaving me pretty confused and highly amused.

-- We had friends over for lunch for the second day in a row. And for the second day in a row, the parent politely said, "Thanks for having us over, Ava!" To which Ava frowned slightly and said, "But I didn't invite you!"

-- At dinner this evening I was describing to Ben a show we had watched earlier about eels. I said that I really don't like eels, they give me the creeps. Without missing a beat, Ava says, "Mom, you should love ALL of God's creatures, because He make everything. YOU can get in trouble with God if you want... but I am not going to." After recovering from this profound and quite hilarious response, Ben said, "Well do you really like ALL the bugs God created?" Ava paused in thought, then replied, "No, I don't really like all bugs, but I am still thankful to God because He made them and so that means they are special to Him."

The best part is that these are not rare occurrences - these are the kind of things Ava comes up with EVERY DAY. I never know what will come out of that child's mouth, but I know it will most likely bring a smile to my face and tears to my eyes - most often because I'm laughing THAT hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment