Thursday, January 19, 2012

Me-Time

Today was a rare one for me - I got adult (aka no-kid) time not once but TWICE. Ben spent the morning with Molly, so after taking the older two to preschool my mom and I sat at the car dealership while my car was serviced. For an entire hour, I had conversations, watched TV, and even sat in companionable silence uninterrupted by telling kids to behave or be careful. It was AMAZING. Then this evening once the girls were in bed I went to my weekly jazz class. This year I decided to creep outside my comfort zone and return to dance classes after a ten-year hiatus. It may not be life-altering, but it is an hour each week when I drown out all thoughts and stresses, listen to the music blaring, and do my best to make my body move the way it's supposed to without doing permanent damage. There are many weeks when I have to force myself to go to class - by the time kids are in bed I'd rather sit and enjoy the quiet of my house - but I always enjoy myself once I'm there. Today reminded me that while I love my children and have a hard time admitting this, I really am a better mother when I take a little time for myself. A little recharging each week makes for a much happier Momma, and thus a much happier family.

No comments:

Post a Comment