Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Prioritize and Trust

This morning I found myself in a bit of a moral dilemma. (This may be a tad dramatic, but we'll go with it.) Ava's class was making winter t-shirts this morning and the teacher had requested help from a few parents. I had said I could go in if she NEEDED me, but I was hoping to use one of my last childless mornings to get a few last gifts purchased. Teacher said they should probably have enough parents, so I didn't have to come and if I'd rather get my shopping done she'd understand.

So what do I do? Be the good and helpful person or be selfish? I decided in the end to go to the school. After all, we have all of the big gifts already. All I was looking for were a few extra stocking stuffers or small gifts to fill in under the tree. It will not matter in the least if the girls don't get any more than we've already gotten for them. We are all so blessed with material things; I felt I needed to focus more on the non-tangible aspects of Christmas a bit more.

In the end, the t-shirt painting went really well - the kids did a great job making sponge snowmen on their shirts and I managed not to ruin anything. AND, I was still able to run to the stores I needed to go to and got all the shopping done I'd hoped to. I felt like God was rewarding me - I helped others and was willing to sacrifice my shopping time, so he made my shopping easy enough to get done in the shortened time I had to work with. I think I need to work on doing this more often: trusting that the important stuff will get done, and the unimportant stuff is just that - unimportant. I was glad I made the choice I did today, which allowed me to share some Christmas fun and spirit with a few of my favorite first graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment